Sulamani temple was built by King Narapatisithu in 1183 A.D. There are two stone inscriptions in the temple. The one erected in the north porch mentions that King Narapatisithu built it in order to make a work of merit.
The king donated many temples and stupas during his reign from 1174 to 1211. Most of them were probably built as atonement for some of his misdeeds. According to the chronicles, the King was once returning from climbing Mount Tuywin when he saw a ruby shining radiantly in the hollow. He ordered his men to fill up the hollow and build the Sulamani on the very spot.
Sulamani means “Crowning Jewel”. The temple is also known by its local names as Sulamani Gupaya and Sulamani Phato.