It's situated on the bank of Ayeyarwady River along the motor road, within the Bagan city walls in the southwest sector. In its general arrangement, this two-storied temple resembles the Thatbyinyu. The temple grounds are surrounded by four walls, each with entrance gates. The east gate, which serves as the main entrance to the complex, is guarded by two large, white lion statues.
With statues of Buddha on each side of the ground floor, and a number of Nat spirit statues placed inside, it has a total height of 180 feet from the base to the finial. There is a vestibule facing eastwards. The narrow stairs built within the temple’s thick walls serve as a link to the upper-story.
According to the chronicle, this temple was built by King Narapatisithu (1174-1211 A.D.) in order to commemorate the ceremony of paying homage to the manes of his ancestors.