Dhammayazika Pagoda

Dhammayazika Pagoda

Type
Pagoda
Location
West Pwa Saw village
Built
1198
Monument No.
947

Architecture

The pagoda is a solid cylindrical structure resting on three square terraces, a prototype of Myanmar stupas. The structure of the pagoda is similar to Shwezigon Pagoda in Nyaung-U. However, its distinct feature is its pentagonal-shape plinth, compared to the square-shape of Shwezigon Pagoda. Around the terraces, there are glazed-plaques depicting the Buddha’s life stories.

At the dome part of the pagoda, there is “the bell” called “hkung-laung”, “girdle” called “yin-zi” and “inverted alms-bowl” called “tha-beik-hmauk”. The spire part is consisted of “protuberant coils” called “phaung-yit” and “umbrella” called “hti” which have already been destroyed.

There are five prayer halls facing five cardinal points. Inside each prayer hall are the bronze statues of five Buddhas of the present kalpa. In the hall facing east, there are Bagan-era stone inscriptions and Inwa-era ink inscriptions on stucco. Some of the glazed plaques were taken away by unscrupulous people in 1890.

History

The inscription records say that King Narapatisithu received holy relics from the King of Sri Lanka in 1197 and built a massive pagoda in 1198 to enshrine Buddha’s holy relics. It took about one year to build the pagoda. The holy relics were enshrined in a golden casket.
Our Partner
Ministry of Hotels and Tourism
Japan International Cooperation Agency
Bagan Tourism Development Project

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.  |  Facebook  |  Instagram

Copyright © 2017, Wonder Bagan. All Rights Reserved.